4 Egg whites
1 Cup white sugar
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Teaspoon white wine vinegar
2 Teaspoons of cornstarch
1 Pint of heavy whipping cream
1/4 Teaspoon almond extract (optional)
2 Cups of fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 280˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and trace a dinner plate on paper to give you a circle on paper.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add in 3/4 cup of sugar one spoonful at a time, continuing to mix. Continue to beat until glossy and stiff. Fold in gently vanilla, white wine vinegar and cornstarch.
- Spoon the mixture inside the circle filling all the way around. Work from the center pushing out to create a slight lip around the outside edge. The middle should be slightly lower.
- Bake for 50min and shut the oven off. Leave in the oven for an addition 20-30 minutes until it has cooled off. This is an important step so don’t skip it!
- In a mixing bowl whip heavy cream, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla or 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract until cream is light and fluffy and stiff peaks form. Store in Fridge until ready for use.
- When ready to serve gently move meringue shell to a platter place the whipped cream on top and sprinkle with fresh berries.
- Garnish with fresh chopped mint.
This is best when served freshly assembled so the meringue shell will stay fresh. Leftovers can be store in the fridge for a day before the shell goes soggy.