225 g whole medjool dates, pitted and finely chopped
175 ml boiling water
175 g self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
85 g butter, softened
140 g dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
100 ml milk
For the Toffee Sauce:
225 ml heavy whipping cream
175 g brown sugar
50 g butter
1 tablespoon molasses
- A splash of rum is optional but will really enhance the flavor
- Finally chop dates and place in a bowl. Pour boiling hot water over the top and leave to soak for 30-40 minutes.
- Once the dates have softened, add in vanilla and smash mixture with a fork
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray Muffin Tins with cooking spray or butter and flour them to prevent sticking.
- Mix Flour and Baking soda in a separate bowl, set aside
- In a small bowl blend eggs, brown sugar, molasses and butter until creamy.
- Fold in alternating flour and milk until completely mixed in. Be careful to not over mix this.
- Stir in the date mixture with the batter.
- Fill Muffin tin 3/4 full with the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes until the batter has risen and is firm to touch.
- While the batter is baking make the toffee sauce.
- Melt butter, brown sugar and half the heavy cream in a small sauce, stirring occassionaly until it is boiling. Add in molasses and cook over medium heat for an additional 2-3 minutes while stirring regularly to keep the bottom from burning.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining cream.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minute, this will give the sauce time to thicken a bit as it cools.
- Loosen cakes with a knife or spatula. Flip onto a flat surface to remove cakes.
- To serve place cake on plate and pour toffee sauce all over the top.
Serve in true style: In England you would serve with additional heavy cream that would be poured over the top of the toffee sauce.
Rum Toffee Sauce: If you want to add a kick to the toffee sauce add 2 Tablespoons of rum once you have mixed in the final heavy cream. This gives it a delicious enhanced flavor!