I love the kind of dishes that you can make ahead of time, that you can take your lunch with you and that is packed full of good nutrition and energy! My avocado chicken salad is a favorite. Whenever I make a roast chicken and there is leftover meat I will use it to make this fabulous lunch! It is refreshing and packed full of flavor! You can serve it in a lettuce wrap or pita bread or with some crackers. I am a total texture person so I love adding some nuts on top to give it a little crunch!
It’s perfect for poolside, on the go or just a quick grab at home. If I stuff it in a pita I add spinach for extra nutrients and it gives it an elevated flavor! When you are short on time I recommend just grabbing a rotisserie chicken. Pull the chicken off the bone and shred and you are ready to go! I love mixing the dark and white meat in this dish, while I prefer white meat, the dark meat is more flavorful and moister which is a plus!Print
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 2 avocados
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2–3/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Scoop avocado into bowl and mash with fork. Add mayo and sour cream and mix well, followed by seasonings, garlic and cilantro. Save the pit of the avocado.
- Add shredded chicken to avocado mix.
- Squeeze 1/2 lime into mix and taste, if prefer more add second half.
- Add pit back into mix (this keeps it from discoloring) Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until chilled.
- Serve in a lettuce leaf, pita bread or with crackers. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh black pepper, a squeeze of lime and additional chopped cilantro on top.
- Did you know that you can add the pit to your guacomole dip, or salad and it will prolong your avacado turning brown? Try it, you’ll be amazed at the results!