We have a big rivalry in our house when it comes to breakfast, my husband grew up in a home where you only eat breakfast at breakfast time. This is the craziest thing I have ever heard of! Our friends tease him, the kid’s joke about it but when dad is gone for dinner, yep we do it – breakfast for dinner! I have always been more of a savory person rather than sweet so this dish is my kind of breakfast any time of the day!
This breakfast bowl is versatile for all types of preferences and can easily be customized to your liking. The potatoes can be made ahead of time if you need a quick breakfast that you can throw together. When I make it for myself I throw a bunch of veggies in too. My daughter has lived on this recipe in college and makes it for herself several times a week!Print
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35
- 5 large potatoes (you can use white or sweet), diced into small chunks
- 6 eggs
- Sausage or bacon (I use about 1 cups worth, this can be adjusted to your preference)
- 1 cup cheese
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Boil a pot of water, add in diced potatoes and boil for 7-10 minutes until you can gently stick a fork through. When finished drain and rinse in cold water.
- Cook Sausage or bacon and break into small pieces, set aside.
- Wipe out most of the grease from the sausage and add a 1 T olive oil to pan, add garlic, oinions and peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes, add in potatoes and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes on medium heat. You do not want to rush this process if you want to have nice crispy potatoes that do not burn so be patient and lower heat if potatoes start to burn on edges.
- Whisk the eggs until smooth and creamy.
- Once potatoes have reached desired crispiness add in your meat, stir and then add eggs, continue to stir for a few minutes until eggs have cooked. Once they are done take off burner, add cheese on top and let sit for a few minutes to melt cheese.
- Serving Size: 4