Our family has a special pancake recipe that has been a favorite for many generations. It comes from the German side of my mom’s family. Anyone can make these pancakes but the family joke is they always taste better when grandma makes them. I grew up going to my grandpa and grandma’s farm where I would wake up to the smell of her cooking fresh made sausage and these delicious pancakes. There may be a more formal name for these pancakes but in our family line they have always been known as “grandma’s pancakes”.
Another key to making the best version of these is a great skillet. My grandma had an electric skillet she made hers in and they turned out perfect everytime, she had the skillet for 20+ years and it was beautifully aged to cook them to perfection. Since I don’t have grandma’s skillet I use a cast iron that gives them the golden color and crispy brown edges. The important key is to make sure your pan is hot before you start. You will need to adjust the heat the more you cook so they don’t start burning. This is more of a crepe pancake but has the crunchy edge to go with it. A perfect match with this is our families homemade syrup (ADD RECIPE HERE).
These won’t disappoint and they are a beautiful gift to any breakfast!Print
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients in a blender. The Consistency of the batter should be runny but a little on the thicker side. If it seems to thick add more milk or is to runny add flour to adjust thickness.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast iron skillet, wait for skillet to get hot.
- Pour batter into pan and spread with a spoon pushing from the middle out until the whole pan is covered in batter, making sure it all has a thin coat of batter.
- Leave to cook until the edges are crispy and brown in color, flip and cook for an additional few moments.
- Remove from heat, fold in half or thirds and serve with syrup.
- If the pancakes are burning, turn your heat down which should eliminate burning.
- Serving Size: 4