When the weather starts to change or it is just a rainy day soup is alway on my mind. I love the feeling of throwing together a pot full of goodness and the aroma that feels the house as it simmers on the stove. Chicken fajita tortilla soup is a delicious low fat soup. It is topped with sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese and tortilla chips so you get a nice rounded flavor and texture combo going. If I have leftover roast chicken or grilled chicken breast I will shred them up, bag them and throw them in the freezer for when I want to make this soup!
There is so much flavor in here that it won’t disappoint! This is great as leftovers too, the flavors are enhanced as the days pass. This is a great soup to make in advance if you are looking for a pre-cooked meal on a busy day.Print
Chicken Fajita Tortilla Soup
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45
- 2 cups shredded chicken breasts
- 1 red, green and orange pepper cut up into small chucnks
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can of rotel tomatoes (with green chilie’s if you like the heat)
- 2–3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 can black beans, drained
- optional: 1/2 cup corn
- 1 tub sour cream
- 1–8 ounce bag shredded cheese
- 1 avocado diced in cubes
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- In a pan saute, peppers, onions and garlic until slightly tender, mix in cilantro, garlic powder, salt and pepper and rotel, mix together.
- Add in chicken, beans and chicken stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes on a medium high oven.
- For toppings: mix together avocado, spring onions, cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve soup with Avocado mix, cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.
- If you are not using leftover chicken I recommend try grilling your chicken and then dicing it up and adding to soup. This adds another layer of flavor with the grill.
- Serving Size: 6