This is a great recipe when you are in need of a quick meal or need to have something ready when you get home from a long day. I have used the shredded chicken in tacos, nachos, taco salad and made enchiladas too. It is so tasty and versatile! This recipe feeds a lot so it is a great way to feed a crowd or to help you with a weekly meal prep!
We have this several times a month since it is a favorite and so very easy. The best part is you can cook it in the instant pot with frozen chicken in 35 minutes. If I am out all day I will throw the frozen chicken in the instant pot and set the delay on it for 3-4 hours. Once it is finished cooking and goes into the warm mode it sits there just absorbing all the tasty juices which give it even flavor! This can also be done in a slow cooker if you don’t have an IP.
I have a great kitchen hack for shredding this chicken in seconds. Check out 5 Kitchen Hacks That Will Change Your Life!Print
Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- optional: 1 can of green chopped chiles
- Pour Chicken stock in Instant pot, lay chicken breasts in stock (they will not be covered by liquid).
- Top chicken with seasonings and chiles.
- Seal up instant pot and pressure cook for 25 minutes if chicken is thawed (35-38 if frozen) Let it naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken in the pot with all the juices. Stir to mix all the seasonings in. Remove bay leaves and drain juice or serve with a slotted spoon so the juice doesn’t make the shell soggy.
- Serve with your taco toppings and preferred shell. If you are using corn shells I reccomend you warm them in a skillet with a little oil to soften them.
- If you have leftover chicken you can bag it in individual portions, freeze and take out as you need. My kids grab them out of the freezer and eat them for lunches.
- If you do not have an instant pot you can put the same ingredients in a slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours. I would add an extra cup of chicken stock so it doesnt dry out.
- Serving Size: 8