Sometimes we need a quick meal option that doesn’t require a lot of work or time. My chicken saffron soup is a perfect match for this! It can be made ahead of time, it reheats well and it freezes great too!
Saffron is not always the most commonly used ingredient but it adds a beautiful flavor and color the the soup. Saffron has many great benefits for your body. It is a powerful antioxidant, it can improve your mood, and help with depression. It can also help with your appetite. Saffron can usually be found in the spice section of the grocery store or the Spanish section. It is expensive to buy a whole bottle but it will last you for some time. It is a bulb like spice that is extracted from a flower that is from the lily family.
This soup is very hearty and can fill you up! It is a very slight warmth in spice to it but not overbearing. If you prefer no spice you can omit the cayenne pepper.Print
Chicken Saffron Soup
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40
- Yield: 6-8 1x
3 Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
3 Potatoes (large size with skin on)
7 Cups of chicken stock
1 Cinnamon stick
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
1 Teaspoon cumin
1 Teaspoon paprika
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Pinch of saffron
1 Tablespoon of olive or avocado oil
- Cube chicken into bite size pieces. Saute in a dutch oven or skillet with olive oil and minced garlic until the outside is a light golden brown.
- Dice potatoes, carrots and shallots.
- Once chicken is browned, add in the potatoes, carrots and shallots, cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, and the rest of the spices including the cinnamon stick.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender (should be able to poke with a fork)
- Add in the olives and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Saffron can be expensive but a little goes a long way. You can usually find a slightly cheaper variation in the cultural sections of your grocery store, perhaps where the specialty Spanish food ingredients are located.
Dutch Oven: If you don’t have time to stand over the stove cooking. Saute the chicken, add in all the other ingredients except olives and throw in the oven for 30 minutes on 350. Add your olives a few minutes before serving.