One of my all time favorite snacks is popcorn, especially when it is made with coconut oil.
Truthfully, I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner but….I manage to restrain myself!
This recipe is super simple and taste light, buttery and delicious. My personal special touch is adding chili powder to it which gives it a whole new level of amazingness!
When we gather to watch a movie with family and friends and I can’t resist making a giant pot of popcorn which is usually gone before you know it! There are a few key steps to follow in this recipe which is what makes it turn out so perfectly! There are virtually any kernels left in the bottom of them pan with this method. Once you’ve tried it you will never go back! I can’t bring myself to buy microwave popcorn anymore – there really is no comparison!Print
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- Salt to season
- Chili powder (optional)
- Place coconut oil and ghee in a large pot along with 3 kernels of corn, place on stovetop on medium heat.
- Wait patiently for the 3 kernels to pop, this let’s you know the oil is hot and ready.
- Dump remaining kernels into the oil, cover with a lid and move off of the heat for 90 seconds. (This is a really important step – it allows the oil to warm up the kernels to help them all pop evenly without burning).
- Move back to the heat and continue to cook until all the kernels have popped, gently slide the pan back and forth every 30-45 seconds to keep the kernels moving (You will hear the popping noise virtually stop – this is the best time to remove it from the heat).
- Remove the lid immediately so your popcorn does not go soggy. Lightly salt and serve up!
- Best option: I highly recommend the triple filtered coconut oil (I use the Trader Joe’s brand). It is tasteless which means your popcorn doesn’t taste like coconut oil!
- Alternative: If you do not have ghee you can substitute it for an additional tablespoon of coconut oil. The popcorn will taste slightly less buttery but still is great!
- Serving Size: 6
My Amazon Picks:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.